HomeAbout MeMy ClassroomMy ProductsFreebiesContact Me

6/12/13

Fraction Pizzas!

Fraction Pizzas!

This past school year my class had fun with this hands-on project. I used cheap paper plates and had students each create their favorite pizza to represent the whole. Then I paired up two students together and they had to share the pizza (new plate) and half should represent student 1 and the other half should represent student 2. After that, I regrouped the class into three partners to show 1/3's and lastly, I regrouped the class to have 4 students in each group to show quarters/fourths. Not only was this visually important for student to see the shares getting smaller, they could also see the number of students in each group were getting bigger.  Once everyone was completed with their pizzas, I joined the pizzas together to show the progression of the lesson.  (See picture below for more details). To join them together all I did was punch holes with a single hole-puncher and then thread yarn through all the plates. This made an awesome visual. I also kept this up to remind students of the differences between fractions and shares.


No comments:

 



Custom Design By Corinne Kelley @ The Cutest Blog on the Block